IBM has GREAT documentation associated with upgrades.
The best way to read it, is to get it printed, and leave the office, so we
can read it without interruption, then highlight the stuff where we need to
take special precautions.

IBM also hosts web site info regarding upgrades impact on major packages ...
what OTHER stuff you have to upgrade if you are on this or that package, so
that your aps will continue to work fine after the IBM upgrade.

I have had cases of bad media.
Stick in this CD/Tape/diskette whatever, now this next one, now another one,
and when we get to # 4 or 7 or whatever, it is bad media ... I have had that
from IBM (actually IBM outsourced the media production) and other
vendors ... so we have to have good backup before starting, and it might be
good idea to do some minor check on each piece of media before starting.

Everyone else, that I have dealt with, do not know how to write relevant
documentation, and testing by them appears to be impractical. Thus, there
has to be some system for testing the changes.

I have had applications broken by upgrades.
It has always been an aps vendor that did that.

We have called vendor tech support ... what do we have to do to accomplish a
certain thing ... we follow their tech support instructions and boom the ap
is now broken.

There's so many things to watch out for.
We have our own internal modifications, using a naming convention to
carefully not conflict with the vendor software, then in an upgrade, the
vendor changes the naming conventions, and file layouts.
A program calls another prgram which calls another which calls another, and
we have another violation of the naming conventions, with the new addition
conflicting with some other addition.

One of their programs we made 2,500 lines of code modification to.
That same program is being replaced, where they made 3,000 lines of code
changes.
We now need to merge. Lots are simple, where different subroutines
involved, but in some cases there was a problem which we reported to the
vendor, could not wait, fixed it ourslelves, then 6 months later, vendor has
a fix & they did not fix same way as we did ... we need to select the best
fix.

Pascal Bellerose wrote
Does special instructions mention warnings about risks of impacts
on your business apps when there are any?