Sorry, but this is still a PC-TECH issue. You want a PC imager than uses a
server to store the images. That the server is an i is immaterial; you
would get the same results if the back-end server was Windows, Linux/Samba,
or a NAS device. Actually, given the comparably poor performance of the i
as a file server, the other options would likely perform better.

Back to your issue..

If you deploy centrally, you may have better results using a bootable USB
drive to store your images. They're cheap, perform well, and many use the
USB port for power so there's no extra plugging in. They also remove the
issue of dealing with network drivers. And pretty much every machine from
about 2003 or so on can boot from a USB device. IIRC we push out fully
configured Windows systems (Windows, Office, AV/AS, other applications) in
20 or so minutes. This is faster despite the full Gb LAN at our disposal,
and time matters as we deploy 2000+ machines a year.

In addition to Ghost, consider the offerings from Acronis:
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/snapdeploy/ or use the apparently
free Windows Deployment Services (
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772106.aspx and
http://datanotes.wordpress.com/2007/11/26/how-to-deploy-xp-using-windows-deployment-services-wds-2/