I feel so stupid. All this time I've been loading the tapes via that I/O
slot, even when doing multiples. I didn't know that the big thing on the
left pulled out. And there's a second one on the right. When they were
talking about magazines I thought they meant some internal magazine. When
I hit Magazine and Left and pressed enter and it told me to remove the
left magazine I started looking in the back - like it was for hardware
maintenance or some such thing. Then the lights started turning on...

Ended up with
- Load via magazine.
- When using the magazine the lower left one is the I/O slot - don't put a
tape in there. So the bottom is I/O, 1, 2, 3. Middle is 4,5,6,7. Top is
8, 9, 10, 11.
- Don't use Loop=*yes unless after it finishes with the last tape in slot
order you want to go back to the first. That would be like "I filled all
the tapes, let's start over and see if we can fit more on the existing
tapes"?

After following these rules I was able to load in four tapes in S1-S4. Do
a CHKTAP ENDOPT(*UNLOAD) and have it go on to the next tape. When done
with the fourth tape it said device not ready.

This will work fine.

Before this the BOFH wouldn't touch the thing. Danged if she was going to
initialize a dozen tapes if you had to load them one at a time via the I/O
slot. Back when we were using 3570s and TSM and had to use the I/O slot
she rigged up a bungee cord to hold the I/O door open.