How do you go direct to the database? Are you moving csv files or something else?

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael_Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:41 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: communicating with a Windows based system

I FTP to and from Mainframe, Windows and Novell file systems directly to
DB2 tables on the i nightly. I can't recall the message I get when they
FTP from the mainframe to a DB2 table and tried to add a record with a
duplicate key. It's a bit non descriptive if you don't think about what
the problem might be. Other than that, works great.

I send policy data, AP/GL and others.. no problem.

Michael Smith
E : Michael_Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

message: 1
date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:32:43 -0500
from: rob@xxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: communicating with a Windows based system

Depends. We had a division (since sold) that had a SQL Server based
canned package for a mixing machine. We used JDBC from the i to access
the SQL Server.

I've also done the remote command to initiate a file transfer request on
PC's for that same division to pump data to the i.

I've never FTP directly to db2 or QSYS.LIB data from pc data. Always to
stream file data and then used something to map that stream file into DB2.