From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John McKee
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 8:42 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Barcode printing questions

Hi Scott,

How are the HP printers attached?

When I use this command:

CRTDEVPRT DEVD(MISP081BC)
DEVCLS(*LAN)
TYPE(3812)
MODEL(1)
LANATTACH(*IP)
AFP(*YES)
PORT(9100)
FONT(11)
FORMFEED(*CUT)
MSGQ(MISC003)
PARITY(*NONE)
STOPBITS(1)
TRANSFORM(*YES)
MFRTYPMDL(*LEXOPTRA)
RMTLOCNAME('172.16.48.81')

I receive CPD2887 - Advanced Function Printing not allowed. Message
text continues that AFP(*YES) is only allowed for DEVCLS(*LCL),
DEVCLS(*RMT), or
DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(*IPDS).

Scanning the Redbook Printing V, I am left with the impression that in
order to print bar codes, I have to have AFP(*YES) for the device.

So, what am I doing wrong?

John McKee

Quoting Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I use host print transform to print barcodes on HP printers every day.
I don't know about Lexmark Optra, but I would expect it to work
similarly, provided there's a MFRTYPMDL for that particular Lexmark
model.

Really, John, the easiest thing to do is take a few minutes and try
it.

John McKee wrote:
Currently, we are doing limited bar code printing on a dot matrix
printer. I was asked if bar codes can be printed on other printers.

My first thought was that this was possible. I was asked very late
in the day. Not a good reason to give an immediate answer.

The application currently uses a printer file. So it is tempting to
conclude that barcodes can be generated.

But, now I am having doubts. Can bar codes be sent to a non IPDS
printer, such as a Lexmark Optra?

I am going to look through IBM, but I'm not sure if I will find the
answer, so I thought I would post here as well.

Thanks

John McKee

a moment to review the archives at
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.