At personal danger to myself, I have to say something good about Windows
(that is not negative about the System i (Which I dearly love))
The ability to hot swap is vendor dependent. I can hot swap without
rebooting on HP, Dell, and IBM. Not sure about anybody else. The problem
with those guys is they usually want you to try to rebuild the failed
drive first, which often works. No clue why. System i replaced it no
question asked. (Then they probably re-qualify the drive and give it to
someone else if it is not physically damaged. Just silly speculation
here...)
=====================
Tom Kreimer
Network Manager
Buckhorn Inc, Milford OH

We just found out that, when a vendor says their disk drives are "hot
swappable," this means different things. For example, we have had two
drives on our i go south. The CE swapped them out while the rest of the
company been on about their merry way. It was a little slow while it
balanced the drives, but no interference with the business.

Had a drive on our Windows server go south. Sure you can replace the
drive with the replacement while the server is running, but in order for
the system to recognize the drive, the server has to be re-booted.

I like the System i definition better.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale