Thanks Birgitta. Your version produced a different set of results but I haven't had the chance to explore why. I will use the iNav visual explain just to take a look at what is going on.

Pete

Birgitta Hauser wrote:
Hi,

first I'd rewrite the query as follows:
With x as (Select Pissnv as xPissnv from ppcs301
Group By pissnv
Having sum(pipctf) > 100)
select picode, pissnv, emlnam, emfnam, emmnam, decimal(pipctf/100,0 , 5, 2) as tot
from ppcs301 join peis301 on pissnv=em# and emstat = 'Y'
join x on xPissNv = xPissnv
Order By emlnam, emfnam, emmnam

If the query is executed by the old CQE, the query optimizer may execute the
join in the from clause first and after execute the sub-select in the where
clause.
Wenn using a Common Table Expression and joining the result in the from
clause, the optimizer may change the sequence of the execution joins and
sub-queries, if it may be faster. Instead of using a Common Table Expression
you may execute the sub-select in the from clause which may lead to the same
access path as using a CTE.

After make sure, that there are indexes (or keyed logical file built over
the join fields and over emstat 'Y')
It may also help to have an index (or keyed logical file built over the
order by fields), or better an index over em#, emstat, emlanm, emfnam,
emmnam.

If you are executing your query from green screen, just execute the
CL-command STRDBG before executing STRSQL and look at the joblog after the
execution.
If indexes are proposed, you'll find it in the joblog.

A better way is to use iNavigator's Run an SQL Script's Visual Explain (and
Index Advisor) to see if and which indexes are missed.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"