John--

I will defer to others concerning the reuse of system addresses.

As far as PFs and deleted records are concerned-- As you have noted, the space for a deleted record is merely flagged as 'deleted' at the system level. Programs reading the file don't even know those records exist.

This space is reused when the PF is reorganized, or if the file is set to REUSEDLT(*YES).

Records flagged as deleted are also dropped by CPYF on the destination file. These records can be included if you select COMPRESS(*NO) (Compress out deleted records).

The deleted records can be recovered since the space is not physically deleted (as long as the file is not reorganized).

The hard way:

- SAVOBJ to a SAVF. This saves the entire object, including deleted records..

- A SAVF can be read by an RPG program (record length 528 bytes).

- Read the SAVF records, and divide up the information retrieved into blocks the same length as the original file. I don't recall if each record has any header information attached or not.

- Write the retrieved blocks to a copy of the original file.

- This can be interesting, because the length of the original records will not map into 528 except in -very- rare cases! So you'll need to assemble the records to be written into a buffer, fed from either multiple SAVF records, or sub-segments of the 528 bytes.

The Easy way:

There are several commercial utilities that will let you read and re-activate deleted records. We are using DBU.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx