There is a setting when creating a file share to translate files with certain extensions. That takes care of the EBCDIC to ASCII conversion.

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
By golly John I think you understand perfectly!

A "trigger" is a legitimate term used in DB2 on the i. That could update the IFS file. Then the PC app could read that. No refresh needed. You just change the default data directory from something like
c:\BubbasApp\data
x:\BubbasApp\data
where x is a drive mapped to a "share" defined on the i

For those who haven't yet dabbled into updating IFS files directly you could also do this:
ADDLNK OBJ('/qsys.lib/rob.lib/noddspf.file/noddspf.mbr')
NEWLNK('/rob/noddspf.txt')
and then this works fine
dspf '/rob/noddspf.txt'

When I opened it up in Notepad it looked like garbage though.
hmm,
CRTPF FILE(ROB/noddspF) RCDLEN(75)
was how it was created.
and, even though system value QCCSID is set to 37 it had picked 65535.
Oh, that's right - no dds and no sql (ie RCDLEN parameter used) WILL result in 65535.
STRSQL
CREATE TABLE ROB/NODDSPF (ONEFIELD CHAR (75 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT)
RCDFMT NODDSPFR The CCSID of the file, and the field, are now 37.
INSERT INTO ROB/NODDSPF VALUES('Live and let live.')
Still looks like crud in Notepad.