From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:12 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: System power question

Good answers so far... thanks for all of them!

Here's the situation: Our UPS maintenance company is giving us a very
vague answer as to the UPS uptime provided by the batteries when utility power isn't present. The more we stress the importance of knowing a realistic number, the more vague things get.

A 'draw down' type test is being discussed to see if the batteries/UPS will support the 1.5-2 hour runtime target we are comfortable with. This UPS filters/protects our data center that contains the network core, firewall, routers, Citrix servers, and i5 development/backup server (which is a Mimix target machine for our production box, and also a clustered Domino server).
To add more of a safety margin to this test (assuming the UPS drops suddenly before 1.5-2 hour mark has been reached... it would be nice to have the i5 (9406-525 3800 cpw) in a restricted state. If the power drawn by the i5 is substantially less in restricted mode, however, it won't really be a valid test of a normal load on the UPS.

Make sense?

Just trying to get our arms around some ideas for figuring this out...

"Jones, John
(US)"
<John.Jones@xxxxx To
l.com> Midrange Systems Technical
Sent by: Discussion
midrange-l-bounce <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx cc

Subject
12/16/2008 09:25 RE: System power question
AM

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Drives spinning are at idle. Drives seeking are active. Assuming these are Seagate Cheetah 15K RPM drives, the power draw differences can be found at http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_cheetah_15k_5.pdf.
Basically about 5 watts difference per drive, the difference being head seek activity.

The power draw for memory draw won't really change.

For the CPU however, well, just read some of the power management articles about the POWER CPU family or even the Intel & AMD offerings will have you realize that idle and active draw on modern CPUs varies a lot. Without looking it up I'd guess 35-50 watts per core difference between idle & 100% active.

But it doesn't end there. If the CPU is active, the cooling fans are likely spinning faster to increase air flow/cooling capacity. Most modern servers have thermally activated fans; the higher the temperature (caused by system activity) the faster the fan speed. The faster the fan speed the more power the fan(s) draw(s). So add a few watts for higher fan activity.
Ditto the higher the ambient temp in the room the more air the fans will have to move.

And the more power is being drawn the more the PSU's fans will have to spin, drawing even more. Although this is probably partially balanced by the PSU becoming more efficient as power draw rises.

I would say two things:
1. If you want to actually measure it, arrange to power down the system so you can use one of these:
http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html (or one of their other models). I use the EZ model (
http://www.p3international.com/products/p4460.html) to monitor PC power consumption. They also have a power strip model.
2. Read the physical planning reference or look at the size of the PSUs and make sure you size your UPS and power circuits to accommodate the maximum draw.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Sr. Analyst, Global Information Security Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.