Thanks Walden we did consider this sicne we do that very same thing in another process, but there is going to be a very large number of times this cookie is going to be created and we were concerned about the hit we would see doing a odbc connection for each one and the number of records written to the database. We suspect that only about 20% of the cookies being created will be used by an i5 application but since we have no way to tell what the user is going to do we need to create that cookie no matter what. In our case the cookie is going to be created every time someone logs on to our Sharepoint portal site which also happens to be the default home page set in IE for the campus. So every time anyone launches IE on campus the cookie would be created. That would be a lot of hits with 6,000 students and 1,000 employees starting/stopping IE multiple times a day.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Walden H. Leverich
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 11:18 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: passing encrypted data from .net to RPG

If you do the ASCII/EBCDIC translation before you decrypt then yes, it
will cause all sorts of problems. You need the untranslated value to
decrypt. Once decrypted you can obviously translate it if it's character
data.

If the .NET app is on the same network as the i, then I'd not store the
data in a cookie at all, but rather store the data in a database (the i
seems like a good one. :-) and just put a key to the data in the cookie.
Make the key a GUID or other non-guessable value, don't use an integer.

-Walden