In general it is recommended that you not start with ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED.
First do an
ENDSBS *ALL *CNTRLD DELAY(120)
There are ways to tell if your job was told to end controlled, (even RPG
can test for 'shutdown'). IBM takes advantage of these and will bring
many things down orderly. Less chance of corruption that way. Not all
IBM programs do though, and most 2nd and 3rd party items do not. So after
the DELAY time the system will automatically do an ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED. The
system may still take a few minutes to shutdown. I would think though
that since ENDJOBABN will not work until 10 minutes after the ENDSBS *ALL
*IMMED that you're getting on the border of patience. On our MMA we bring
many things down before doing the endsbs *all *cntrld. Including TCP,
etc. In under 3 minutes we get the 'system ended to restricted
condition'. Your timing may vary.
Your system will IPL fine normally if you've run the ENDJOBABN. What will
happen is that most (if not all) of the SI* family of PTF's will not
apply. The MF* family of PTFs will apply. DSPSYSVAL QABNORMSW will be
set to 1=Abnormal. That just involves doing another IPL. When I know I
ran an ENDJOBABN I will often do a
CHGIPLA STRPRTWTR(*NO) STRRSTD(*YES)
before doing an ipl to make it quicker to shutdown the system and restart
it again to apply the ptf's.

One big clue. Do not do a
CHGIPLA STRPRTWTR(*NO) STRRSTD(*YES)
after your OS upgrade and IPL to put on the cume and expect your INZSYS to
run. I half hoped it would so that I could apply the ptf's, let the
inzsys run restricted, do a SAVSYS and do a normal ipl to reduce the
number of IPLs during an upgrade.