-----Mensagem original-----
De: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Em nome de tkreimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 11 de dezembro de 2008 16:52
Para: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Assunto: Re: DNS on IBM i (Was Re: DHCP on the AS/400)

Ack, called to the field without my gear on...
I left the system that used DNS on the 400 several years ago, but to my
biggest beef was with the GUI did not work well (no specifics, sorry). I
also gave up on getting dynamic updates to work. Another issue was that to
make changes to a dynamic zone, I had to end the service for that zone, make
changes and restart it. There was also a bug (eventually fixed by a PTF I
think) that caused DNS to continually not autostart, causing network outages
after an IPL. . No opinion on editing the text files, it never occurred to
me to try it, at the time. Just not a positive experience, especially
compared to using DNS on W2K. My opinion anyway, I hope it does work for
everyone else.
Tom Kreimer
Network Manager
Buckhorn Inc, Milford OH

Tom,

What do you find difficult about DNS on i? The GUI is very nice for
setting up or maintaining the thing. If you don't like that simply edit the
text files in the IFS the way Unix propellerheads do as it's simply BIND
under the covers. It's easy to set up primary secondary relationships. You
can run multiple servers on the same machine. It does forwarding, logging,
static and dynamic updates etc. It even works as the

DNS server in an active directory environment.

- Larry

Larry Bolhuis IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert -
System i Solutions
Vice President IBM Certified Systems Expert:
Arbor Solutions, Inc. System i Technical Design and
Implementation V6R1
If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank
a soldier.

tkreimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/11/2008 11:24 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: DHCP on the AS/400

This is one of the few programs without green-screen parity. You will have

to use OpsNav/iSeriers Navigator/whatever to configure it.
You can use CHGDCPA to set it to autostart, but that is about it.
I haven't used it, but I hope it is easier to use than the AS/400 DNS
server.
Tom Kreimer
Network Manager
Buckhorn Inc, Milford OH

Does anyone use DHCP on the AS/400? How is it configured? Can I turn it on

"out of the box" and expect it to work?

Thank,

Albert