Extention of my question to those who use multiple LPARs. If I
understood correctly, it is not possible to share files between LPARs.
That is, if I have a CL on the Dev LPAR, then I cannot run that CL from
the Pdn LPAR unless I copy the CL from Dev to Pdn. Is this correct? Is
there a way to keep my files on different LPARs synchronized? On Linux,
I use NFS to share my /home directory between machines (and LDAP to
"share" my password). In Windows, it is shared via normal CIFS sharing
(my "home" is on the LAN, the C: drive does not contain "my" files) and
Active Directory. Is there anything similar on the i?

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

John,

DDM allows access to data files on other IBM i systems. Once the DDM file
is setup, use of the file is transparent. A program on System A can
read/write/update/delete data on System B. The programs do not need to
exist on System B.

The normal connection now for DDM is over TCP/IP networks. SNA networks
used to be used but SNA support is pretty much phased out, except for
existing systems, and even that is becoming more difficult. Data access is
also available by ODBC and JDBC. There are also High Availability (HA)
products that use remote journaling to keep files on different systems in
synch on a record by record basis. Rob has mentioned Mimix, we use iTera
HA from Vision Solutions. These products are generally one way
synchronization, from the primary system to one or more target systems.
Changes made on the target system will be overwritten from the primary
system.

You ask about sharing files, but then you also ask about sharing a CL.
Normally a CL is a program object, different from a file object. You could
use the RUNRMTCMD or SBMRMTCMD to run a job on a different system. The
called program must exist on the target system, but need not exist on the
system that sends the command.

iTera HA does synchronize/replicate data in the IFS file system from one
system to another, but this is from a primary system to a target system.
This is primarily used to ensure quick recovery from equipment/site
failures.

Steven Morrison
Fidelity Express
903-885-1283 ext. 292

Confidentiality Statement: This electronic mail transmission is
confidential, may be privileged and should be read or retained only by the
intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.