On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 14:19, <ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But WOW is the Infocenter a bad performer most times that I try to use
it... what the heck are they running that site on hardware/bandwidth wise?

IBM has many problems with it's internet presence, and this is one of them.

We have a 50 megabit connection in the office, and i have a 25 megabit
connection at home.

When downloading from download.microsoft.com or MSDN/TechNet, i can
peg the office and home connection to their maximum with no effort -
no download accelerators needed. From smaller US sites that do not
utilize a content distribution network like Akamai, i can generally
get 10-20 megabit/s without download accelerators.

IBM however is bad - downloading PTFs is especially a problem.
Ordering is not an option as it takes multiple weeks for them to
arrive here, and half of the time they're lost in transit. PTFs aren't
that big - maybe 8 GB. But i can't get more 1-5 megabit from
ptf.boulder.ibm.com, and Download Director isn't much better.

The problem also exists for IBMs System x utilities like UpdateXpress
or the general download pages for new HMC releases etc.

The website itself is also rather slow, but that's much more
subjective than download speed.