It is also in jtopen - are there licensing issues with that? Seems it could easily be included. And it is all cross-platform Java - should be easy enough to put in there. It does depend on a debug server on the i (STRDBGSVR). There is a debug manager that will connect and even start that server, as I recall, if it is not started yet.

You are NOT very excited?? Heh!! Can't imagine you NOT excited!!

Vern

Aaron Bartell wrote:
I have been meaning to try out that debugger. I have seen it in action by watching Hoss use it, but I haven't used it myself. With your declaration that it supports SEP's I am not very excited to start using it! Thanks for that bit of info!

I wonder how hard it would be to "integrate" that debugger into RPGNextGen as that would be an excellent addition to the RPGNextGen.com editor. For instance it would be great if you could invoke the debugger similar to WDSC by just right clicking on an object and then have it start up the debug process. There are probably license packaging restrictions on that debugger that would make for an awkward install if it were included in RPGNextGen, but it sure is better than having to go back to Windows constantly.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

Vern Hamberg wrote:
Aaron

As for debugging, there is the graphical system debugger that comes as part of the toolbox - jt400. It can do SEP debugging, too. It is Java, so might work in Linux.

HTH
Vern

Aaron Bartell wrote:
The free and open source Eclipse based RPG source editor you are thinking of is named RPGNextGen and can be found at www.rpgnextgen.com. It is in the beginning stages of development and thus has "just enough" features to be effective (though I am quite impressed with what has been accomplished so far by one individual). I use it because it keeps me on my Linux desktop, though there are some features in WDSC I still go back for (i.e. mass searches, SEP debugging). Note my involvement has strictly been on the front of offering new feature requests, doing tests of new versions, and pouring through the code in my spare time to see how the guts work. Mihael Schmidt is the mastermind behind that initiative.

I have an article coming out with Systeminetwork.com about it in the next couple months. I hope to bolster some adoption of the tool so we can give IBM a little friendly competition (and maybe convince them to give out one free copy of RDi per compiler purchase :-).

Back to my hole with me...

HTH,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com