From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Emily Smith
Sent: 04 December 2008 21:39
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: random number generator oddity

List,

We have a program that uses 'rand' to generate random numbers. I call this
program requesting an eight byte number and receive a number 81239122. I
sign off, and a coworker signs onto my workstation he also calls the program
requesting an eight byte number, and also receives 81239122. He signs off, I
sign back on, run the same program and receive a completely different number
73449833. I sign off. He signs back on again calls the program and receives
81239712.

So we've been testing this for about an hour using different scenarios (one
of us signs in at the same workstation and calls the program then signs off
and the other signs on, we sign in at the same time to different
workstations and call the program simultaneously, one signs in at one
workstation calls the program and then signs off the other signs on to a
second workstation and calls the program etc.) multiple times. Sometimes, we
would each get a random number that was the same as the other. Other times
the numbers would be completely different. Still other times the first four
or six digits would be the same but the last two or four would be the same.
Could anyone shed any light as to how 'rand' works and why it doesn't seem
to truly generate a random number? Is there something wrong with the program
that uses 'rand' to generate the random number?

Here is the code of the program that generates the random number.
D Number S 99 varying
D Length S 2 0
D A S 4 0
D X S 4 0
D digit S 4 dim(16)
D GetRandom PR 10U 0 ExtProc('rand')
C *entry Plist
C parm number
C Eval length = %LEN(Number)
C Eval X = (length / 4) + 1
C Eval A = 1
C Do X
C Eval digit(a) = %CHAR(GetRandom)
C Eval A = A + 1
C Enddo
C eval number = %trimr(digit(1))
C + %trimr(digit(2))
C + %trimr(digit(3))
C + %trimr(digit(4))
C + %trimr(digit(5))
C + %trimr(digit(6))
C + %trimr(digit(7))
C + %trimr(digit(8))
C + %trimr(digit(9))
C + %trimr(digit(10))
C + %trimr(digit(11))
C + %trimr(digit(12))
C + %trimr(digit(13))
C + %trimr(digit(14))
C + %trimr(digit(15))
C + %trimr(digit(16))
C Return

Thanks for all feedback.

Emily Smith
Programmer/Analyst
Bank Data Services
(618)659-4550
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message is private, confidential property
of the sender, and the materials may be privileged communications intended
solely for the receipt, use, benefit, and information of the intended
recipient indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, disclosure, distribution, copying, or
taking of any other action in reference to the contents of this message is
strictly prohibited, and may result in legal liability on your part. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this message from your system. We believe that this email and
any attachments are free of any virus or other defect that might affect any
computer system that it is received and opened in, however, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and the
sender accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage.