From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 8:47 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: DVD-RAM archival

Wanted to get some ideas from the list here...

For several of the latest models of machines (520/525), the writeable
DVD drive has used DVD-RAM media. We have always used the writeable DVD
media as the media used to store/archive our purged business data. As
we get more and more formal and policy driven, our policy speaks of this
data as being kept 'forever'. We all know that digital media isn't
necessarily forever...

Has anyone else here approached this question/issue of long term
archival of data on DVD? I'm doing some web research on DVD-RAM
longevity and finding alot of variability on quoted longevity and also
variability of test results trying to measure longevity.

Ours is a small scale archival set of 5-10 DVD-RAMs worth of data that
grows pretty slowly... but i'm guessing that some here may have already
dealt with such questions on a larger and more stringent scale... I
also have a PMR out to IBM to get any thoughts they may provide.