When you are in any of the standard OS commands, take a look at the OUTPUT parameter. Most support *PRINT and * (Display) but many also support *OUTFILE which means send the data to a work file already prepared by IBM to contain all the data you might want, in a form that is friendly to most programming languages.

Also WRKACTJOB is a snapshot of SOME of the stuff running on the system at a particular moment in time. It does not show discontinued jobs, that might resume at any moment, what's waiting to run off JOBQ. It also includes a lot of standard system stuff you might not be interested in. I like to use parameters to limit the data presented, and use that command in combination with WRKSBSJOB and WRKUSRJOB and DSPLOG to get a good grasp of what's going on, from perspective of demands on the system.

Al Macintyre

Preface to say that I'm very new to the as400, stronger unix background.

I'm trying to write a small CL program that puts the output of WRKACTJOB
into a PC file so that it can be FTPed off the as400, ideally having the CL
program executed by the FTP script using RMCD. I have the basics down as
shown below:

WRKACTJOB OUTPUT(*PRINT)

/* Delay for 2 seconds for output to finish */
DLYJOB DLY(3)

/* Copy spool output to file KAF/WAJFILE */
CPYSPLF FILE(QPDSPAJB) TOFILE(KAF/WAJFILE) +
JOB(419900/USER/QPRTJOB) SPLNBR(*LAST)

DLTSPLF FILE(QPDSPAJB) JOB(419900/USER/QPRTJOB)

This will sometimes work, and sometimes not ending with a CPF3343 message. I
have tried ending a MONMSG line to catch those, but even putting a DLTSPLF
command in the MONMSG ends with the same error.

At this point I've tried just about every combination of options (using the
job name for JOB parameter, using SMBJOB for the WRKACTJOB command, etc) but
always run into some problem.

So my question is, what's the correct way to accomplish this? Being somewhat
new, code examples are always welcome. Thanks.