On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Trevor Perry <trevor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think we have a different perspective on this. I see the positive impact
of the new platform, and I see a strong future of being able to also deploy
IBM i and Windows in a blade center - a future where we make even more IBM
server sales. When I worked in a hardware business partner, we upgraded
AS/400s and iSeries - where the terminology was a challenge. Now, from a
software perspective, the hardware is de-emphasized. Our customers have no
idea they have DB2

or green screens under the covers of their modern
application.

screen scraping? ick. better refactoring tools needed to make it
economical to remove the greens from terminal based apps.

I work everyday with applications running on i that are
competitive - because they have the look and feel of a windows/browser
application, the depth of functionality that comes from the years of
experience we have in the industry, and the rock-solid OS+server under the
covers.

... and those IBM i apps would be even better, with more features at
the same number of programmer hours needed to write them, if the
system had longer object names, CL commands that had SRVPGM procs as
the CPP, better integration of SQL in CL, an RPG with PHP language
features, no SRVPGM signature violations, ...