Mark,

In an effort to keep this in the big picture, and avoid splitting hairs on
lots of little out of context sentences, I will answer some.

the reality is that the marketplace has effectively
rejected it. The feedback is that it's too confusing.
I think this is where you start spreading FUD. Uncertainty, and doubt, for
sure. A few pundits on midrange-L who disagree is not marketplace rejection.
A lot of people in the marketplace who are uneducated on the new name is not
wholesale rejection. The word is being spread, inside and outside IBM.

We get a few ads around Common and then silence.
This is not a marketing campaign - this is advertising. Which is part of a
marketing campaign. Grassroots word of mouth is marketing. Awareness is
marketing. I think all the complaints about IBM's marketing of the i are
really about not seeing an ad in the place "I want to see it". And, how many
of us who frequent midrange-l are marketing experts? Ultimately, this really
is a frivolous, and just noisy, claim.
Besides, if that was marketing, IBM would just create a new ad now and then
to shut up the 'faithful'. Personally, this is not the approach I would
suggest to a "multi-billion dollar corporation".

How many new "competitive" i installs have you been
involved with this past year?
All of them. We sell software. The majority have some form of Windows
software package/s to replace, and we have installed several Power5 515s,
and have ordered a bunch of Power6 520 M15s. All of them against Windows
applications and solutions. And, this is as a member of the IBM VIP program.

Two things stand out - when it was a System i, the sale was harder, since
the Windows competitor called it an AS/400. Since the Power6, competing
against Windows has been so much easier - they can't and don't say that IBM
i on Power Systems is "just an AS/400". Our sales cycle has shortened as the
"old AS/400" attack is gone.

I think we have a different perspective on this. I see the positive impact
of the new platform, and I see a strong future of being able to also deploy
IBM i and Windows in a blade center - a future where we make even more IBM
server sales. When I worked in a hardware business partner, we upgraded
AS/400s and iSeries - where the terminology was a challenge. Now, from a
software perspective, the hardware is de-emphasized. Our customers have no
idea they have DB2 or green screens under the covers of their modern
application. I work everyday with applications running on i that are
competitive - because they have the look and feel of a windows/browser
application, the depth of functionality that comes from the years of
experience we have in the industry, and the rock-solid OS+server under the
covers.
I don't think you get to see that, so you seem much more jaded than i. Or,
is that I?

Trevor