You can find any IBM publication if you know the "Reference Number"
I learned from IBM tech support today that if you know the Reference
Number of an IBM publication, you can find that publication easily by
entering the number into the search box at www.ibm.com

For example: Reference number s7001200 keyed into the search box will
return the
result
http://www.ibm.com/Search/?q=s7001200&v=16&en=utf&lang=en&cc=us&Search=S
earch

And it links you to
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S7001200 which is
the page for the IBM TotalStorage 3582 Tape Library Setup, Operator, and
Service Guide

My question, "Where do I find a list of all the Reference numbers for
all IBM manuals and user guides?"
I did not ask the IBM tech, but do you know?
What do you feel is the quickest way to search for and find an IBM
guide?

Do you do all your searching on Infocenter at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/

At that page you can get to these releases:

V6 is
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/i5os/index.jsp

V5R4 is http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp
V5R3 is http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp