James,

It doesn't need to be multi-threaded. Sockets can be configured to send a SIGNAL to your job when OOB data arrives (or, indeed, when ANY data arrives). You can configure your job to run a particular subprocedure when these signals arrive. Even if it's in the middle of a query, the query should be interrupted and run your procedure.

James Lampert wrote:
Scott Klement wrote:

Do you mean "interrupt" what the server is doing? That requires changing the code in the server. You can write the server so that it sends a POSIX signal when out-of-band data is received, then have the server abort it's processing when it receives the signal (for example, by sending an *ESCAPE message to the SQL engine). Then you trigger this behavior by sending OOB data from the client to the server.

That sounds like it would have to have a multi-threaded child-server: how would it be able to know it was getting an out-of-band signal, when SQLExecDirect has control, and the standby-server that spawned the child-server has already ceased to do anything with the connection?

Sending the abort request to the standby-server would be a possibility, but if the port is exposed to the outside world, this new request would have to be secured against malicious use. Going to have to look at the initial connection protocol on that one.