Tom L.,

You guessed correctly... Utility means like Water, Gas, Electric, in this case Water.

You're on the right track with your ideas and if you have more let me know. GIS for mapping of pipes and meters is already here but not on the i although it gets most of its data from the i. You see ORACLE is the favorite here for all things except the key critical CIS system (CIS, Billing, some Work Orders, Cash Receipts for Water only, Land Management for location data only). So when a vendor came in years ago with a GIS solution that used ORACLE and made them pant and salivate, they didn't even think about the fact if didn't work with or on their mission-critical CIS system and DB2.

But, now I'm working on a Data Warehouse on the i and DB2 and it may be that all data from all the other systems will either have to be pulled to DB2 to make it easy for folks to use the Warehouse or to use some IBM Federated software working on/with the i to allow distributed queries across DB2, ORACLE and, of course, SQLServer. My plan is to create a fairly sophisticated Business Intelligence environment with good BI tools and Dashboards and perhaps some Data Mining tools. The point being, I want folks to be PROACTIVE and do trend analysis, projections, etc. and not be their traditional REACTIVE self. So the i may show it's stuff even more, even the in the face of ORACLE, in the not to distant future. However, it will be an uphill battle with all the prejudice against IBM and the i.

So, if you have any more ideas keep them coming.

Thanks,

Dave