Dave wrote:
especially for a Utility?

I know this question has been talked about by vendors
(including myself at one time) and magazines such as
ComputerWorld, CIO, etc., in years past.

But, I wanted to get some of your latest ideas where the i
and/or IT can help a Utility save or make real money
by using the facilities of the IBM i and/or other IT initiatives.
To me this means using the power of automation to the max to
increase productivity, increase revenue and decrease cycle-time.
I have my ideas but want a broader experience base.

Dave -

A few general things come to mind:

1) When it comes to integration, the ability of the System i is outstanding.
2) There is typically a lot of off-the-shelf software (with source code)
available for this platform.
3) The integration of System i and System p into a single hardware platform
brings even more software solutions to the table.
4) Staffing levels are typically lower for System i that most other
platforms (particularly when compared to Windows).
5) It is one of the most stable and reliable platforms available.
6) On System i, your software /never/ has to be redeveloped or modified
simply because of O/S upgrades.

- sjl