I have to tell you guys - you have been a tremendous help.
Having been on again/off again on these QMQueries, today something astonishing happened!
Not only do I have the parms passed correctly from my display/prompt program, but the query itself is pretty cool.
It's nothing fancy, but it sure does what I need including the biggie (for me) today which is getting the SUM and GROUP BY and ORDER BY to all play nice and give me 'summary only' output. Manuals are handy things, too, aren't they?
Not only that, but from previous posts, I have learned to format my data to a certain extent.
For example:
SUBSTR(DIGITS(PTGLDT),1,4)||'/'||SUBSTR(DIGITS(PTGLDT),5,2)||'/'|| SUBSTR(DIGITS(PTGLDT),7,2) AS GLDATE,
STRIP(SUBSTR(DIGITS(PTRCPT),1,7), L, '0') AS RECEIPT
I think I ripped that off from a post by Matt Tyler. He was talking about zero suppress and it just pulled it together.

Thanks to everyone for pushing me into QMQry and giving much appreciated support along the way.
I'm not an expert, but I have what I need for now. Even wrote myself a manual.

Now, let's see what happens with our upgrade from V5R2 to V5R4 in a couple of weeks. Just a little behind, aren't we? Even getting new boxes for the dev and prod environments.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Fran Denoncourt
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Pinal County Treasurer's Office
Florence, AZ 85232
(520) 866-6404
Frances.Denoncourt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Receipt of this message does not grant you permission to send me
Unsolicited Commercial Email

<vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> 08/28/2008 12:35 PM >>>
Fran

Now you see why you don't want to write one of these things!!

Look at about page 141 in the Query Management Programming book -
Figure 37. Encoded (Externalized) form field summary (Part 1 of 2)
This tells you what each of the numbers means - e.g., in a T record, 1110 means the rows and columns in the field list that follows - the R records. In this case you have 13 rows (fields) and 5 columns.
After the 005 are the descriptions of each of the columns in the fields table

1114 is usage - as in break level and the column width is 007
1115 is indent and is 006 characters wide
1117 is edit code (in RPG terms - heh)
1118 is order 3 wide
1113 is heading 62 wide

All the R records are then to be read according to the widths you see in the T record.

The V records are for break level settings and final text settings and general options and all like that.

See if you can get the product installed for the try / buy and see what you can do!!

HTH
Vern
From: "Frances Denoncourt" <Frances.Denoncourt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

About the numeric column editing.
I can see in figure 38 that this line in my query has something to do with it:
T 1110 013 005 1114 007 1115 006 1117 005 1118 003 1113 062

1117 is column edit; 5 I think might be from the 5th row in the table below:
But, how does that apply to an individual column?

Edit Lead Negative Thousands Currency Percent Display of
Code Zeros Sign Separators Symbol Sign -1234567.885
E No Yes No No No -1.23456789E+06
D2 No Yes Yes Yes No -$1,234,567.89
I3 Yes Yes No No No -0001234567.885
J2 Yes No No No No 000001234567.89