In fact, this phenomenon is called 'crowdsourcing'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing

Let's do it!

On 10/25/08 12:46 PM, "Trevor Perry" <trevor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think the negative bias is hurting us all. Other than Don, who believes
that a reduction in i killed his group, it is obvious that user groups are
becoming less subscribed due to a cultural leaning towards sitting on your
arse in front of a computer or tv.

Yet, I remain positive that humans need face-to-face, and the current trend
will be reversed, in favor of in-person meetings. Check out www.meetup.com
for a start.

And how do you explain THIS facebook-triggered event?
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=99194&catid=14
100 people were 'invited', and over 1000 people showed up.

How about Improv Everywhere? (http://improveverywhere.com/) Their last
effort (which gets people OUTside) managed "Over 2,000 people in four cities
participated in this year¹s Mp3 Experiment".

Now, let's get the iWorld together. Outside. In person. Face-to-face. Doing
fun stuff. Then, let's call it a user group meeting.

Don, you are invited. Just bring your smile!

Trevor