Hmmm... I hate to jump in with an answer like this, since my knowledge of what's in 57xx-TC1 isn't very concrete, but...

I was led to believe that TCP/IP itself (the support for sending TCP/IP data over a network) is part of the base operating system, BUT...

The TCP/IP *utilities* (TELNET, FTP, PING, et al) are part of the TC1 product. So without TC1 you could run TCP/IP networking -- and potentially install/write your own TCP/IP software. But you'd need TC1 to use the IBM-provided utilities that run over that networking...

But, I don't remember where I heard that or in what context, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Charles Wilt wrote:
Now-a-days TCP/IP itself is part of the base OS.
Though I don't know what's left in 57xxTC1.