Understanding and use of a NULL concept is required when using SQL.
If I create a LEFT OUTER JOIN sql query, project some columns from the
secondary dial and some of the join conditions have no match in the
secondary dial, the result set will include NULLs even though the tables
being joined have no NULL capable fields. If this query is in embedded SQL,
the developer has to handle this case.
Traditional RLA developer may handle it by forcing the secondary dial
projections to a non-NULL field using COALESCE, but that is not the best way
to handle it. Using null indicators is.

Again, if no SQL access is used, value of understanding and use of NULL
diminishes, although it doesn't disappear.

What I think has not been mentioned yet in this thread is that most of the
other database platforms use SQL exclusively to access the database, so
developing understanding of these types of concepts could benefit developers
whose retirement is not just around the corner by making them more versatile
and marketable. Or simply able to help their non-i development team.

Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com