Lance,
Is this relevant?
Document Title-QNTC File System Windows NT 4.0/2000 Server Discovery

Document Description
When drilling down through WRKLNK (Option 5) on QNTC file system,
the list that is generated from the network is gathered by the
NetServer instance on the hosting OS/400 platform from the
configured Master Browsers/WINS servers. This provides an
unverified list of servers to the QNTC file system. The buffer to
receive this list is approximately 1k (about 12 servers). If the
list is larger than the buffer, the buffer is multiplied by 4 (to
about 50 servers) (over and over until the buffer is big large
enough to handle the list of servers). There is no limit to the
number of servers that will be displayed under the QNTC file
system.

Before the list of servers is displayed under the QNTC file system,
the system queries each server in the list from NetServer to
determine if it supports the NETLOGON Service. This query verifies
that each server answers the NETLOGON service. If the server does
not support NETLOGON, it will take 30 seconds to time out the query
and move on to the next server. Therefore, a network environment
that has 600 servers, of which there are 300 that do not support
NETLOGON, powered off, otherwise disconnected, or unavailable, will
take approximately 2.5 hours to return a list of servers for a QNTC
query.

Note: Any network timing issues will add to the delay.

The URL is from 2006 and I do not have the current one.
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/
c5cb77868d27276c86256a4f00797eb5/
75f09c231d811a988625699900724095?OpenDocument

Eric Lehti (918) 879-6036 direct; (918) 292-9142 mobile