I know I am talking to myself at this point, but I think my experience might
help someone searching the archives at a later time...

As it turned out, I had a couple of problems:
1) Two of the eight DIMMs were not working properly in our i5. When they
failed, the system deconfigured them and their mates. Isolating the pair of
bad DIMMs allowed me to bring the system up with 6 good DIMMs, but although
12 GB showed as available, only 4 GB was available to the operating system.

2) The second problem was that my i5 thought it was managed by an HMC, but
it in fact was not. On the control panel I saw the familiar HMC=0. My
assumption is that the i5 was waiting on the HMC to tell it how to allocate
the new RAM. Some googling and digging in the archives led me to a couple
of solutions, and a couple people who went to extremes to get rid of the
HMC=0.

A reset of the configuration data in ASMI made the HMC=0 disappear, but
after an IPL it returned. One of the 'defaults' changed by the reset is
'Firmware Update Policy', which gets set to 'Managed by HMC'. This setting
seems to re-trigger the HMC=0 condition. Resetting the service processor to
factory default, then changing the Firmware Update Policy to 'Managed by
Operating System' got rid of the false HMC affinity and allowed the OS to
use all the installed RAM automatically.

A nice side effect of fixing the HMC=0 bit is that PWRDWNSYS now works
properly. For the past year or two we have noticed that PWRDWNSYS would
never take the system to a complete power off state.

3) There was a third problem as well, with simply connecting to the ASMI.
When I was first trying to isolate the bad DIMMs, I used the ASMI and could
see that all but two DIMMs had been deconfigured. After that one time in
ASMI, no matter what I tried I could not get back in ASMI. I could ping the
IP, but IE & Firefox refused to connect. It turns out that IE requires you
to disable 'TLS 1.0' in Advanced Settings to work with ASMI. Not sure why
it worked once, but oh well. The IBM Information Center was also down on
the install day, so I was not able to get this info until a few hours after
I had given up for the day. The info IS in the Troubleshooting section of
the ASMI manual.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post. Hopefully someday it helps someone. Maybe
even me :)

Dave