Nope, from this customer incident, it doesn't work like that, even though I wish it would. Matter of fact, I think I may have even turned in an IBM change request for just such a concept because we had the same problem when creating/re-creating our test environments.

I found this in the IBM System i Support search results for "restore file journal" under the "Incident Summaries"

Brian Dolinar.

File Restored to Different Library Still Journaled to Same Journal
Incident Summary

Problem Summary:
A file is saved from library A and restored to library B, on the same system. The file was journaled to journal A in library A at the time it was saved. After the file was restored to library B, it was found that it is still journaled to journal A in library A rather than journal B in library B.

Resolution:
If a file is being journaled when it is saved, the system will attempt to resume journaling to the same named journal in the same named library upon the restore. It is not possible to automatically have the system start journaling to the same named journal in library B. The library list at the time of restore has no bearing on where the file will be journaled; it will either be journaled to the journal with the same fully qualified name, or if such a journal does not exist, it will not be journaled at all.

Document information

Product categories:

Software

Operating System

i family of operating systems (formerly i5/OS family)

Database management

Operating system(s):
OS/400

Software version: