Eric

I just ran into some of this with one of our products and running it in a Spanish context. I spoke with a couple of the PartnerWorld support folks and got at least a couple ideas on this.

If the text literals are IN the source code, they end up compiled with the program and effectively are stuck at the CCSID when created. The suggestion was to put literals into a PF record with a tagged CCSID - in our case, 37 in US English. Then read them into a data structure. When the program is run in a different job CCSID, these literals will be converted automagically to the job CCSID. So will any data coming from any other tagged field in a PF or LF.

I hope this is the truth - it sounds much too easy. And I welcome thoughts and clarification - am trying to understand how to take advantage of it. But it takes advantage, I am told, of the internal tables for converting from one CCSID to another - the same ones used by iconv. Table objects are deprecated and are actually labeled as such in V6R1 documentation.

Other issues pertain when translation is involved. Message files seem to largely be the IBM method - same MSGF name but located in the secondary language-specific library - named QSYS2927 or whatever - I don't have a number to relate to any language - sorry. I see that both a message file and message descriptions can be tagged with a CCSID, too.

HTH
Vern

DeLong, Eric wrote:
I'm trying to get feedback on standard practices involved in the intranationalization of an app. This is just curiosity on my part, for now, but I expect there might be a project for this soon.

Here are some of the basic questions I have...
1) base field dimensions for currency fields. What scaling factors to use for aggregation field sizes? 2) Character fields should use some flavor of UCS; assuming that the %UCS2() bif make this flavor easiest to use?
3) Wondering about text constants: If building a new business logic interface that is intended to support web-service/webapp, are MSGF objects still the best way to support language-based resources?
I looked at this several years ago, and have a pretty decent grasp on IBMs recommendations at that time, but I wonder if these techniques are still preferred in light of IBM's modernization roadmap....

Thanks for any insights,
Eric DeLong