From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 3:53 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: MySQL on i

On 6-Oct-08, at 4:08 PM, midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

But DB2 would need a similar abstraction layer because it can run on
LUW and on the i - which are entirely different animals.

Well for one thing the code that runs on i is not the same code base as
the others (although some of it may be these days).

More to the point - with MySQL it is an integral part of the design - to
the extent that you can build your own custom storage engine if you want
to. While DB2 may have some internal abstraction - to the best of my
knowledge this is not surfaced. So while it may happen under the hood
it makes no difference to the end user because they can't choose which
one to use.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com