If you are at V5R4 BRMS can perform an unattended restricted state
backup by submitting the backup job to the controlling subsystem. We use
it here for our weekly backups and had no problems. Just load up the
drive, let BRMS inventory it, and go.

BRMS offers customized backup lists via "control groups". If you need to
perform any special processing before, during, or after the backup you
have the capability to run your own commands. For example, in our daily
backup, we end the QHTTPSVR subsystem and FAX support just prior to
saving IFS objects; then restarting them after the IFS save. Control
groups offer a lot of power during the backup process.

One thing you have to do is let BRMS manage the media. There is no
"Monday" tape or "Tuesday" tape. There are a pool of tapes, you put some
in the drive and let BRMS do its thing. We have a smaller system so get
by with a 3581 LTO autoloader (7 slots) with a tape barcode reader.

If you have a rotation strategy where you move tapes from the tape drive
to a vault, and then from the vault to an offsite location, BRMS can
manage those move policies and tell where all your tapes are. Very
useful if you are Sox audited. I just printed reports of the BRMS
configuration (tape rotation and retention policy, current media
locations) and the auditor could spot check media was physically where
BRMS said.

BRMS is a licensed product and brings a lot of functionality -
unattended backups as above, recovery documentation, media management,
etc.

It may be overkill but we also save *SAVCFG and *SAVSECDATA on every
backup, and it does not take much time or space. I would rather have it
than not.

--
Loyd Goodbar
Business Systems