I have found the solution!

The answer is - that the SUBSYSTEM - in this case QBATCH - has to be
able to run enough jobs. Our setting was 3 active jobs for subsystem
qbatch. It needed to be able to run 4 concurrent jobs, as another
java utility (extracting a file to an EXCEL format) was taking 2 of
those active jobs. When the compress utility tried to run, the
original job, and the 2 from the extract utility had used up all the
available threads. We changed the subsystem to run 5 jobs, and it all
works well.

The JOBQ has nothing to do with this particular problem.

Jim