Hi Richard,

Several people on this mailing list have suggested using a save file. Have you tried that suggestion, and did it help you? Or does it cause some problems that you'd like to avoid, and if so, what are they?

For my part, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "multi record format file". Are you referring to a logical file that's build over multiple physical files? i.e. a multi-format logical file? If so, I would suggest that you FTP the physical files (not the logical file) to the other system, and then re-build the LF on that side.

If you FTP the LF, it'll create a PF on the remote side of the connection, and put all of the records from the LF into that PF. So you'll have many files on the source system, and just one on the target system... Which isn't what you want.

Richard Reeve wrote:
I am ftping a multi (record) format file to a client that is translating to an edi transaction. The reciever needs each record to be sent in the length defined in the program for each record format. For example,
If record a is defined as 100 positions, then the ftp'ed record should be 100 positions If the record is defined as 50 positions, then the ftp'ed record should be 50.....and so on.

It appears that the ftp'd file record length is adopting the length of the longest record format regardless of which record format is sent. Is there any way that I can FTP this file and have it contain the proper record lengths (the ones that I used when creating the file) of each record type rather than sending each in the longest length?
Warmest Regards,
Richard Reeve