From: "Emily Smith" <esmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 9. september 2008 18:01
Subject: Receiving Emails on the I

Hello List.

We have a system in place that sends emails and/or text messages to our clients. These emails contain critical alerts (e.g. an ATM being out of service). We use javamail to accomplish this, and we route the emails thru our email server. Currently only critical alerts are emailed out. In order to see non critical alerts clients must sign on to the I, or they can call in and get the alerts over the phone. The option to get the alerts over the phone is going away in the next few months due to high cost.

Now I'm tasked with finding a way for users to send an email to request an email of non critical alerts. Basically the flow would be something like...
1. Client sends email to 'Alertretriever@xxxxxxxxxxx' Subject Line = 'Alerts Request' Body = 'Clientemailorcell@xxxxxxxxxxxx' Client Number 1234.
2. Our email server receives the email and then forwards it (somehow?) to the I.
3. A never ending program receives the email, and based on the subject line and information in the body of the email formats and sends out an email with the alerts requested by the client.

If anybody has done anything like this, and could give me any pointers I'd really appreciate this. Also, if this is something that can't be done, I guess this is a good time for me to find that out also.
Vendors are welcome to reply also, but I would definitely prefer to do something home grown.

Thanks in advance.