Trevor,

For what it is worth, I think of EGL as another tool to generate Java web applications. That is what I have used it for so far and it has made the job easy and even fun. Of course this is just my opinion and my work on the i is about 70% involved in Java webapp development, integration and deployment. Yeah, I know, I am an "odd duck" in this respect. I love the i for it's stability and it's ability to integrate disparate applications, not because of RPG. But, you already knew that.

I would be surprised if the traction gained by EGL came from it's ability to generate COBOL but I am only seeing EGL through a very small, i shaped lens. The power I have seen is in the J2EE sphere.

Pete

Trevor Perry wrote:
Joe,

Your article may be titled "Why I Like Java EE ", but it ends with: "EGL
removes the complexity of these technologies so that you can focus on the
business issues. That's why I believe EGL and RDi SOA comprise the next
great development tool for the i."

Where did the Java go?

You cannot keep representing EGL as Java. Synon was never sold as RPG. For
that matter, since EGL produces COBOL, why don't you write an article about
"Why I like COBOL"?

Trevor