Vern, Chuck, Rob et al
Thanks and a question about editing at the end.

Wow!!
As I was looking for the source file name I should create for the RTVQMFORM command, I just made one up...one example said to use TESTFORM. Turns out my guess was correct. Then found a page in the manual you suggested and found "Figure 47. CL Source for Permanent Conversion Program". Talk about step by step process for me! Similar to what Chuck posted. I'll look into the ANZQRY command, too.

I just did the steps individually rather than put into a CL - which I might do.
It actually worked. My query converted with column headings and totals. That's a great start. Formatting numeric is next - we use 8/0 for date. We display batch numbers etc with thousands separator, etc. That stuff didn't come across.

This CL will convert all of my in one fell swoop if I wanted to do it that way.

I found figure 38 you mentioned and figure 10 which has the field edit codes, but don't see an example of how/where to use them.

My query form looks like this:
H QM4 05 F 01 E V W E R 01 03 08/08/28 08:24
V 1001 050 G/L by date range and Amt range
T 1110 013 005 1114 007 1115 006 1117 005 1118 003 1113 062
R 0 1 S_t_s
R SUM 1 2 TOTAL_Amount
R 1 3 T_y_p
R BREAK1 1 4 Receipt_or_Doc #
R 1 K 5 G/L_Date
R 1 6 G/L_Account
R 1 K 7 Source
R 1 8 Notes
R 2 K 9 Update
R 2 K 10
R 2 11
R 2 12 C_/_D
R 1 13
V 1201 001 0
a lot of Vs

You have all been a tremendous help.
Thank you so much,
Fran

Fran Denoncourt
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Pinal County Treasurer's Office
Florence, AZ 85232
(520) 866-6404

Receipt of this message does not grant you permission to send me
Unsolicited Commercial Email

<vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> 08/27/2008 3:25 PM >>>
Fran

Looks like the example is using a QMFORM for presentation - and you're going to have a miserable time putting that stuff into source - can be done but ugly tag stuff. You'd be well off to use Query/400 to do the layout, then RTVQMFORM from the resulting *QRYDFN.

But that's chapter 2!

Carry on, Jeeves!
Vern

From: "Frances Denoncourt" <Frances.Denoncourt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Eric,
I got the quotes down pretty well now after reading a lot of posts (again) and
testing yesterday. Thanks.

Rob,
Well, that sure worked. I used option to include all of the fields in the group
by. Doesn't make sense, but it does work.

But, why doesn't the sum(RPREFA) work? If you could point me to the right
manual, I'd appreciate it.

Here is an example from the manual that doesn't even 'sum' but the result they
show does:

Example of report breaks in Query Management
The following SQL statement causes the report to be sorted using the values in
the JOB column.
SELECT * FROM STAFF ORDER BYJOB

Their results
ID NAME DEPT JOB YEARS SALARY
------- --------- ------- ----- ------- -----------
100 Plotz 42 mgr 7 18,352.80
-----------
* 18,352.80
90 Koonitz 42 sales 6 18,001.75
-----------
* 18,001.75

Fran Denoncourt
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Pinal County Treasurer's Office
Florence, AZ 85232
(520) 866-6404

Receipt of this message does not grant you permission to send me
Unsolicited Commercial Email

08/27/2008 12:12 PM >>>
These two lines alone are what's important to this problem
SELECT RPPRCL, RPYEAR, RPBTCH, RPNAME, RPREFA, RPCHCK, RPAPYR
GROUP BY RPPRCL

Once you do a GROUP BY then the fields in the select have to be one of
three things:
- a function (like SUM, AVG, MIN, MAX...)
- included in the group by.
- omitted from the SELECT.

In other words you have to do one of three things

I - Change your select to
SELECT RPPRCL, MIN(RPYEAR), MAX(RPBTCH), MAX(RPNAME), SUM(RPREFA),
AVG(RPCHCK), SUM(RPAPYR)
- - tossing in a variety of functions as an example

II - Change your group by to include these:
SELECT RPPRCL, RPYEAR, RPBTCH, RPNAME, RPREFA, RPCHCK, sum(RPAPYR)
GROUP BY RPPRCL, RPYEAR, RPBTCH, RPNAME, RPREFA, RPCHCK

III - Drop some fields from the SELECT
SELECT RPPRCL, sum(RPAPYR)
GROUP BY RPPRCL

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Frances Denoncourt"
08/27/2008 03:00 PM
Please respond to
Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

cc

Subject
QMQRY QQRYSRC issues group by and order by

As many of you suggested earlier, I am trying to switch from query/400 (or
whatever it is these days) to Query Management queries.

I cannot use STRQM because the command is only in two prior release
libraries.

But, that's not the issue at the moment.

I'm following examples in the SQL Reference manual for small tests.
SELECT WORKDEPT, AVG(SALARY)
FROM EMPLOYEE
GROUP BY WORKDEPT
ORDER BY 2

and this example:
SELECT PROJNAME, PRSTDATE, PRENDATE
FROM PROJECT
ORDER BY PRENDATE DESC

My source is (I tried using Select * which didn't work either):
SELECT RPPRCL, RPYEAR, RPBTCH, RPNAME, RPREFA, RPCHCK, RPAPYR
FROM TXOVRPP
WHERE RPNAME = &NAME OR RPREFA > &NEGAMT AND RPREFA < &POSAMT
OR RPPRCL = 'B018034101'
GROUP BY RPPRCL
ORDER BY RPPRCL

I am calling it via a CL which worked for other examples.
This is the error I am getting - it's not consistent with the example from
the manual.
Any ideas which is the problem? thanks

Message ID . . . . . . : SQL0122 Severity . . . . . . . : 30
Message type . . . . . : Diagnostic
Date sent . . . . . . : 08/27/08 Time sent . . . . . . :
11:27:30

Message . . . . : Column RPYEAR or expression in SELECT list not valid.

Cause . . . . . : One of the following has occurred:
-- The statement contains column name RPYEAR and a column function in
the
SELECT clause and no GROUP BY clause is specified,
-- Column name RPYEAR is specified in the SELECT clause but not in
the
GROUP BY clause.
-- An expression is specified in the SELECT clause but not in the
GROUP BY
clause.
-- The RRN, PARTITION, NODENAME, or NODENUMBER function is specified
in
the SELECT clause with a column function or a GROUP BY clause.
-- A column or expression that is specified in the ORDER BY clause,
but
not in the SELECT clause, does not conform to the grouping rules listed

above.
Recovery . . . : Do one of the following and try the request again:
-- If a GROUP BY clause is required, make certain that all columns or

expressions in the SELECT list and ORDER BY clause are also in the
GROUP BY
clause. Do not specify the RRN, PARTITION, NODENAME, or NODENUMBER
function.
-- If a GROUP BY clause is not needed, the SELECT list and ORDER BY
clause
should not contain column functions with column names or the RRN,
PARTITION,
NODENAME, or NODENUMBER function.

Fran Denoncourt
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Pinal County Treasurer's Office
Florence, AZ 85232
(520) 866-6404

Receipt of this message does not grant you permission to send me
Unsolicited Commercial Email
list