Rob

I think Elvis was speaking about a program that has memory leaks and all - his example speaks of misuse of a pointer - something difficult to mess up on i, although possible - not a badly written program in the usual way we do it in business apps, where pointers almost never enter the equation.

At least until we enter the world of APIs!!

Vern

From: rob@xxxxxxxxx

Badly written program cannot...? Oh pooh, that's a challenge and you
should know better. :-)
Speaking of a gent who's
- accidentally did powering off at inopportune times.
- see runaway queries fill the disk
- see poor performers kill the system.

We just do it differently. :-)

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Elvis Budimlic"
08/25/2008 01:04 PM
Please respond to
Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'"
cc

Subject
RE: What should I say to a *nix community?

Off the top of my head:

1) was designed from the ground up as a multi-user server computer
2) security and internationalization were also designed from the get-go
3) high-school graduates of average intelligence are successfully running
multi-billion dollar businesses IT departments using it for over 20 years
4) the power of the joblog (although you'll have a hard time bridging that
gap in understanding - 'others' just don't get what they're missing on)
5) badly written program CANNOT affect other users' jobs or bring the
system
down (i.e. once in a college lab I was helping a fellow student debug a
program he wrote for a class project; turns out he was dereferencing an
uninitialized pointer; but the symptom was that all printers in the lab
were
printing out garbage every time he'd run his program; that kind of
side-effect just can't happen on the iseries [tagged pointers and all
that])
6) IBM support that's 2nd to none

.... list goes on .....

Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com

list