VIOS has gone casters up on me after I activated my ibm i partition on
the BCS JS12. ( it happened before, I reinstalled VIOS, installed the
VIOS upgrade, now it has happened again )

IBM support says it is probably a firmware issue on the js12 blade.

Support had me boot the blade from the VIOS install media. Oddly, my
installed VIOS came up. ( was able to login as padmin with the
password assigned on the last install )

Ran oem_setup_env, then errpt | more. The 2nd line said "SYSDUMP"
and the tech said AIX had crashed. ( I did not think OS'es crashed
anymore )

from the $ prompt, ran SNAP. This created a large file to be sent to
testcase.boulder.ibm.com for analysis.

DNS was not working on the VIOS/AIX install, the techs had me use the
"SMITTY TCPIP" command to complete my tcpip config to enable DNS to
work. ( the DNS IP address was set to the default gateway of my SOHO
router. And the DNS domain name is "home". )

ftp testcase.boulder.ibm.com
bin
put snap.pax.Z "my pmr number".snap.pax.Z

now I wait for the dump analyzers in Boulder to tell me why AIX crashed.

likely the problem is blade firmware related. my latest problem on
that front is the firmware install documentation says to create a
diskette and insert it into the diskette drive. I dont see a diskette
drive on the BCS.

from 7000 series hardware support:

The readme file: ibm_fw_bios_ea330.031.031.anyos_ppc64.readme.txt has
the instructions for performing the update to the BIOS/BMC of the
blade.
Firmware update, 01EA330_031_031 - IBM BladeCenter JS22 and JS12
Version 2.01, 01EA330_031_031
MIGR-5076131
https://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5076131&brandind=5000020

The readme file : ibm_fw_mptsas_sasexpcard-2.23_anyos_i386.txt has the
instructions for performing the updates to the LSI daughter card in
the blade.
SAS Expansion Card (CFFv) BIOS and firmware update v2.23 (bootable DOS
image) - IBM BladeCenter
Version 2.23
MIGR-5073847
https://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5073847&brandind=5000020