The catalog since v3r1 has provided [nearly] capability to enable code to effect what a FRF provides, and prior to that the SQL Data Dictionary [implemented as *DTADCT object and deprecated since v3r1]. Presumably you are thinking of the CREATE TABLE AS and CREATE TABLE LIKE syntax for which the capability is since directly available to scripted source CREATE TABLE requests.

To reference fields from more than one file on the CREATE TABLE AS, a JOIN syntax can be employed to include multiple files. Using WITH NO DATA like in the example [2nd link below] would eliminate any reason to code a WHERE clause; so too for effecting join, so just more files with comma separator should suffice.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/i5os/topic/sqlp/rbafycrttbllike.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/i5os/topic/sqlp/rbafycrttblas.htm

Regards, Chuck

Jon Paris wrote:
My brain tells me that in recent releases a native SQL equivalent of the field reference file was added to the product.

Can't find any reference to it though - am I imagining it or simply not Googling with the right words?