From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Al Mac Wheel
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 10:07 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Finding gaps in a sequence of invoice numbers using SQL

So how come software written in SQL is exempted from change management
at
the company? Are other languages like COBOL also exempted?

Do the rules specify a particular version of RPG, for example ... if
they
say that any programs written in RPG ILE go through change management,
then
maybe you have access to an earlier version like RPG/400 or RPG 2.5 &
saying that the rules don't include all versions of RPG, then you can do

the job in a different older version.

Sounds to me like the change management system needs to go through
change
management to authorize the creation of reports when investigating some
crisis, like running out of numbers, or other situation that might
interfere with business continuity.

If the invoice # can only go up to 6 digits, then maybe what is needed
is a
system for archiving oldest, based on date of issuance, and fact of paid

... we have customers with invoices unresolved from 2 years ago, so we
need
to hang onto the invoice detail to participate in the customer game of
infinitely asking again for, and receiving, details on the invoice.