From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wilt, Charles
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:17 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: SQL Performance Question

Ok,

Well I'd be willing to bet that when you just "run the SQL statements" in
iNav, the statement you run
is a lot simpler; which explains why it's quicker also.

First thing I notice, you're using dynamic SQL for no apparent reason.
Meaning, you're building a SQL
statement in a string, then using the PREPARE and EXECUTE commands. Though
EXECUTE actually seems to
be missing from your post. I see no reason for this as the columns you
return, the files you access
and even the order of the returned data are all static.

Besides performing poorly, dynamic SQL like you are using it is a security
risk due to its
vulnerability to SQL injection attacks. If you really want to use dynamic
SQL, then at least use
parameter markers. Not only is it more secure, but it will simply the
statement somewhat.

Instead of

IF IN_EVENT_MONTH > 0 THEN
SET STMT = STMT || ' AND lh.EventMonth = ' || IN_EVENT_MONTH ||'' ;
END IF ;

You'd use this:

IF IN_EVENT_MONTH > 0 THEN
SET STMT = STMT || ' AND lh.EventMonth = ?'
END IF ;

And you'd say

OPEN C1 using IN_EVENT_MONTH;

Now, if you wanted to switch to static SQL instead of dynamic, a technique I
use to handle the various
filters passed in is like so:

DECLARE C1 CURSOR WITH RETURN FOR
SELECT lh.company,
lh.EventName,
lh.CustId,
-- snipped a few lines
WHERE (lh.ListType = 1)
AND (lh.Company = IN_COMPANY )
AND (lh.IsDeleted = 0 )
AND ( (IN_EVENT_MONTH is NULL)
Or (lh.EventMonth = IN_EVENT_MONTH)
)

Now onto what is probably the root of your problem....
AND (lower(replace(lh.Fname,'' '',''''))
like lower(replace(''' || IN_REGISTRANT_FIRST_NAME || '%''
, '' ''
,'''')
)
OR lower(replace(lc.Fname,'' '',''''))
like lower(replace(''' || IN_REGISTRANT_FIRST_NAME || '%''
, '' ''
, '''')
)
)

First off, using LOWER and REPLACE or any other function on a column in a
table , like lh.fname or
lc.fname, will usually result in a full table scan.

Secondly, I'm not entirely sure why you're even using the REPLACE; if they
are fixed length, it would
have no effect. If they are VARCHAR, then the spaces shouldn't be there.
Unless you're trying to take
out embedded spaces?

Third, instead of using LOWER, consider creating a case-insensitive index
along and making your select
case-insensitive. To do so, first create the case-insensitive indexes
simply by changing sort
sequence you use to create them to *LANDIDSHR then just add a SET OPTION
SRTSEQ = *LANGIDSHR to your
stored procedure.

Lastly, consider moving the functions on the input parameters, such as
concatenation, outside the SQL
statement itself.

Like so:

Declare wFirstName as varchar(50);

If IN_REGISTRANT_FIRST_NAME is not NULL
Then set wFirstName = IN_REGISTRANT_FIRST_NAME CONCAT '%';
End if;

--another form

Set wFirstName
= case
When IN_REGISTRANT_FIRST_NAME is not NULL
Then IN_REGISTRANT_FIRST_NAME CONCAT '%'
Else
NULL
End;

--now use it

DECLARE C1 CURSOR WITH RETURN FOR
SELECT lh.company,
lh.EventName,
lh.CustId,
-- snipped a few lines
WHERE (lh.ListType = 1)
AND (lh.Company = IN_COMPANY )
AND (lh.IsDeleted = 0 )
AND ( (IN_EVENT_MONTH is NULL)
Or (lh.EventMonth = IN_EVENT_MONTH)
)
AND ( (IN_REGISTRANT_FIRST_NAME is NULL)
Or (lh.fname like wFirstName)
Or (lc.fname like wFirstName)
)

Hope this helps!