I agree.
We need this on the Midrange list without the bickering which is holding us all up. But Joe, the primary bickerer does seem to be you. I think you are often a little oversensitive. It's a pity because you are obviously a veritable goldmine of information. Getting it out of you isn't easy work for someone like me.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Joe Pluta
Envoyé : mardi 29 juillet 2008 15:51
À : Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Objet : Re: *** ADMIN: EGL vs. <anything> == Off Topic

David Gibbs wrote:

<OFFICIAL PROTEST>
All I'm declaring off topic is the comparison of EGL to any other language ... it causes too much rancor.

Then I suggest you moderate the rancor, not the subject.

Solving problems involves presenting concrete solutions ... not comparing EGL's 4 lines of code to RPG's 4 lines of code.

We compare code snippets all the time.

I presented a very simple case: parse an HTML page. Several people
noted interest in it.

In any case, this isn't the right list for that. If someone wants to know how to parse a HTML page in EGL, that discussion should be on the EGL list.

It's a comparison of the approaches, the same as SQL vs. native I/O, or Java vs. RPG. If comparisons of midrange technical approaches don't belong in the Midrange Technical List, then where?

Yes, I have my own opinions about EGL ... which are unimportant in this case ... this decision is *ONLY* intended to preserve the integrity of the list. Which isn't served by bickering about which language and/or framework is better.

The only thing I agree with is that the bickering should stop. That is your job, and requires you to moderate the comments, both publicly and privately. I contend that the comparison of the various technical approaches is *exactly* what these lists are about, and this list in particular.

It certainly was in the days before the more assaultive posting techniques became allowable.

Okay, this ends my official protest. I'm sorry to the folks who want to know about EGL that we aren't able to further the discussion. I'm sorry to the folks that don't like argument that it's impossible for some of us to carry on conversations. I assume responsibility for whatever I've contributed recently.

It's a disservice to the list, and I'm saddened.

</OFFICIAL PROTEST>

Joe