Sorry I missed beginning of this thread (I may have deleted it).

Anhow You might consider Stitch in Time from Unbeaten Path International
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/award/source/1.html

Basically you select what stuff is critical to monitor:
prices, BOM, inventory shrinkage

You get a nice report ... who messed with that stuff using what program
access methods
It does not matter if they used some utility like DFU, or front door
programs, or it was a hacker ... you get trackability who did what when

This can eat a lot of disk space, so you need to be selective in what you
going to monitor

Think places where human error is high risk, and places where there could be
opportunities for embezzlement, or more evil actions

I would have loved to have had this product at a former employer where I had
good reason to believe emezzlement was going on with our inventory.

Suppose you make a product for consumers ... Do you want people to put
poison in your food, cut corners on inspection, do a mass copy of personally
sensitive info like social security #s, delete stuff from General Ledger,
and no one be the wiser

Errors might not be human errors ... maybe there's a bug in a program you
don't know about ... this will tell you that stuff gets messed up when
people use that particular program ... I know for a fact that certain BPCS
programs have rounding errors ... but we can find out about bad stuff after
the fact.

Like right now it looks like we may have shipped some product without
invoicing the customers. I found out because a customer sent a copy of one
of our ship tracking tickets, saying they had received this but not received
invoice & asking for copy of it ... I searched the invoices & found we had
no record of that stuff going to the customer & I wonder how many more
incidents like that, where we not have an honest customer asking for the
missing invoice.

I run a report that shows percent cost of sales ... this shows we selling
some parts apparently for a loss ... track it down & find something got
updated, God knows when, wrongly. Looks like it has been wrong for many
many months ... Boss is rather annoyed, wants to know who messed that up.

"Ketzes, Larry"
<Larry.Ketzes@AIG

Subject AM System i Database
Monitoring

> Hello all,
I have been tasked with finding a product (3rd party
seems to be preferable) to monitor and report on database access by
users on the system. They are using these products for other
platforms and these packages make it very easy for the auditor to
look at access and generate pretty reports. I know journaling
covers the actual tracking on the system I, but is there a package
out there that will do this reporting nicely for them without having
to write something in-house?

Thanks in advance,

Larry