SQL files should make no difference. Perhaps you need to do something in
your excel to denote those "numbers" as character. Maybe change the type
to text or something.
I tried a DDS file I was getting CWBTF0105 - error ... row 0... while
performing data conversion
My sample excel data had
123
45678
123
1

Then I added an excel formula
=text(a1,"00000")
Which created another column as
00123
45678
000123
00001
Which I then copied and pasted special as Values.
That uploaded just fine.

DDS from file.
R TEXTNBRSR
MYCHAR 5A
Deleted the file
Recreated it with
CREATE TABLE ROB.TEXTNBRS (MYCHAR CHAR (5 ))
RCDFMT TEXTNBRSR
Deleted the column in Excel
Did a Format, cells, text
Didn't mess with the formula or pasting...
Just rekeyed
123
45678
123
1
Ran the exact same transfer request and the sucker worked.