Hi Terry

I use SQL daily, it is a powerful tool and I would NOT work on an
AS400 that does not have SQL.
BUT I do NOT champion SQL on the AS400.
I have bitterly complained about the SQL implementation on the AS400.
Witness in WDSCi the EXTREMELY POWERFUL Outline view DOES NOT CROSS
REFERENCE SQL VARIABLES.(curses profusely @@@@@@) I have forever hated
the SQL PRECOMPILER. When SQL was introduced it was a separately
purchased option, so many AS400 shops did/could not use it.

THE ENTIRE IMPLEMENTATION of SQL on the AS400 smacks of incompetence
and I believe it was not ROCHESTER that was responsible, but rather the
influence of the 'big-iron' in TORONTO.
(rant rant rant) apologies

Still I am truly interested in WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT DB2 on the
mainframes. I have seen general statements made with no specifics.

On the other hand I find tool measuring exercises of mine is bigger
and better than yours to be infuriating pointless and infantile.

Frank Kolmann

Cheers
Message from Terrence Enger <tenger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Thu, 17 Jul 2008
10:32:05 -040
Greetings,

I am almost scared to contribute again to a thread which has generated
so much heat. No doubt I shall be sorry. Still, here goes ...

Much of the intervening discussion seems to me to be talking about
issues which are, viewed from 50,000 feet, implementation details.
Nowhere in the discussion have I seen any mention of what I think is the
one important item which makes DB2/400 the odd-man-out in the DB2
family:
DB2/400 exposes uncommitted changes to all users of the database.

Comments? (I am going off now to look for my asbestos underwear.)

Cheers,
Terry.