Hi Dave

Yes, it runs in QSH. I don't know what that should be a problem. I started
using it back about 6 or 7 years ago now. A quick google of the phrase "grep
examples" got 1,750,000 hits so I guess it's a widely used tool. Certainly
any decent unix administrator would know how to drive it and I think it
should be in any iSeries administrators list of things they can call on to
solve a problem (but that's just my opinion)

I don't recall what the exact original response was other to look for a
sting in a file. So to find every occurrence of the string OUTQ in my CL
source files something like this ought to do the trick:

grep -F 'OUTQ' /qsys.lib/ejhlib.lib/qclsrc.file/*

You can refer to the QSHELL manual for the switches or use the examples and
stuff on the web. I think it's pretty easy to do - whether you think so is
another matter.

Your response suggests that any answer I give will probably not be "good
enough" because what you want is Windows search on the i. I find that
difficult to understand; windows is (mostly) a desktop environment
supporting end users; outside of applications, the "users" of the i5 os are
technical people. The suggestions you have received so far are appropriate
for that audience - unless you are suggesting that end users have stuff all
over the place on your iSeries.

Regards
Evan Harris